Thursday 14 November 2013

CPCF 1F25: Demonstrable demographics


            This week we were asked to note similarities and differences in our classmates blog posts compared to our own about advertisements. Instead of using an actual advertisement for my blog, I used a video in which promoted the Woman’s Sports foundation. This short video portrays a powerful message about how the media promotes “image” as the most important aspect in female’s lives. As a result of this, we see many young girls being influenced to keep up with the latest fashion and makeup trends, rather than choosing to partake in sports. This is one of many different advertisements which are directed to a certain age group and gender. For the most part, my classmates also focus on gender based and/or age based advertisements.

            For example, Brandon Lewis found an ad made by Reebok, which included three professional athletes working out in a dark facility. He later explains, “Two things that society generalizes as connections for males are pro athletes and sports/physical activity” http://brandonlewis94.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/what-the-hail/). This advertisement reaches out to the male population primarily, by incorporating famous male athletes working out together. This ad is essentially trying to sell the Reebok brand, but I also believe that it tries to sell body image, considering these athletes are all very muscular.

Another example is Farah AlHalbouni’s advertisement she found trying to sell a perfume by Justin Bieber. The ad consists of the following: a pretty teenage girl laying in her bed holding the “key to Justin’s heart” as he walks towards her room. Farah explains that, “The fragrance itself is for females, and the company that decided to use Justin Bieber obviously knew what they were doing since they can guarantee at least 1 million sales due to the obsessive teenage girls who would want to have something Justin Bieber’s face is on” (http://farahalhalbouni95.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/what-the-hail/). This advertisement was directed toward a certain age group and gender, which are teenage females. This was a very smart move by this perfume company, considering there are millions of vulnerable teenagers that would desire this product. Today we see many products being sold with celebrity’s faces on them in order so sell.

Finally, Hayley Sawyer talks about the new kinder eggs that have girl toys and boy toys inside of them now. She says that, “Now, they have put special toys inside the Eggs based on what society feels a girl should play with, and what a boy should play with” (http://hs12un.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/what-the-hail/). It seems that society now needs to be as gender specific as they can be. I remember when I was young and got so happy to get any sort of toy in my kinder egg. Now it seems like the company is taking it too far, as they are consuming small children by their gender, in order for their product to sell better.

            As an eighteen-year-old female in her first year of university, I believe that some of these ads can represent my demographic. Although I don’t always pay attention to the products that are being advertised in certain ads, essentially I care about my image. This being said however, I have a filter and know not to believe everything I see. Like I explained in my initial post, I love to play sports, and won’t let the media persuade me to discontinue playing these sports. I don’t believe that these advertisements are always accurate, but for the most part it seems like most products are being targeted to the right consumers. The media has the control to influence certain age and gender groups, but I think we as humans have the power to do one of three things: let the media totally control us, somewhat influence us, or not have any power over us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment